Saturday, October 3, 2015

Tostones (Fried Plantains)

Hey there! Happy Saturday! 

 I feel I have learned a lot about blogging since I've created this blog!  I'm getting the hang of navigating the website and making it look pretty. Have you guys tried any of the recipes I've posted so far? If so, let me know by commenting on here! I would love to hear feedback from all of you! 


My recipe to make Tostones is super simple and SO delicious! Tostones are fried green plantains. The taste is kind of like a starchy banana, but not really sweet at all. It kind of reminds me of a potato! They are perfect to dip in guacamole, salsa, queso dip, and even sunflower seed butter!! These are the perfect snack to make for game day! 

Oh, by the way, after you fry the plantains in the (very hot) frying pan, do NOT try to pick it up right after, with no oven mitts on your hand. Yeah, unfortunately that did happen to me! I know, I know, what was I thinking! It was not fun burning a few of my fingers....at all. Take my word!!



Tostones (Fried Plantains) 

Ingredients:
  •  2 green plantains
  • 3/4 cup coconut oil
  • cayenne pepper, to taste
  • salt and pepper, to taste 
Cut tips and ends of both plantains. After the ends are cut of, peel the skin. Slice into 1 inch slices. 

Heat coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add plantain slices. 
Cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side. 

Once all plantains are flipped, remove from frying pan and place on a cutting board. Take a plate, and use the bottom of the plate to flatten the slices into Tostones! Press your hand on the top of the plate, just enough to smash the platains. Once all plaintains are flattened, place in hot oil once again and fry for about 1-2 minutes per side. 

Enjoy this yummy and super simple recipe! :) 

-Juliet 

No comments:

Post a Comment