Happy Monday! I hope your week is off to a great start.
I can't believe we are already into the month of June! I am loving this beautiful weather; summer is definitely on it's way! This gluten-free fried chicken and waffle sandwich topped with a creamy cajun aioli is sure to become your summer staple! It's not only delicious, but easy-to-make and gluten-free as well! The one ingredient that makes this dish perfectly complete is the raw honey- it adds the perfect amount of sweetness to this savory and spicy dinner!
Let's get to cooking!
Simple Gluten-Free Fried Chicken & Waffle Sandwich (serves 4)
- 1 lb. chicken tenders
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour blend (seasoned with 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper, to taste.)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- avocado oil, to fry in cast iron pan
- 8 gluten-free waffles
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning blend
- 8 butter lettuce leaves
- 1 cup sliced multicolored tomatoes
- raw honey, to drizzle on waffles
Prepare flour mixture. Add chicken tenders into a bowl with buttermilk, then dredge in the flour blend.
Coat a cast iron pan with avocado oil, about 1/4 inch up the sides, over medium-high heat. Once hot, add chicken tenders and fry on each side for about 5-6 minutes, or until golden brown and fully cooked. Repeat steps until all chicken tenders are fried and crispy!
Time to assemble! Spread about 1 tablespoon on a piece of waffle, then top with a piece of fried chicken, butter lettuce, and sliced tomatoes. Top with another waffle to create a sandwich, then drizzle with raw honey! Serve and enjoy!